Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Dust of Words Would Smother Me

I'd like to think that I have scaled up in terms of emerging media technologies , and that I am at least tech savvy if not tech trained. But guess I will always be more of a nerd than a geek in my fascination with books. You see, I read a book by approaching it like I would an unopened gift.  I certainly don't behave that way with my iPad.

Back in college, I used Sparknotes for my study guide which includes a plot summary, character study and notes on major themes and symbols. But I try not to be affected with structured analysis. To me, a narrative invites and escapes interpretation.

Something will often excite me about a book. For Anna Karenina, (re-reading and oh, long read,) its depiction of issues in 19th Century Russia, and thus quite daunting -- but the first sentence is of course inviting and itself a study in the best-known openings of any novel: "All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

Such a pronouncement, holds the promise of a narration that will illuminate. It kept my night lamp burning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Thanks very much for your interesting blog. It's always nice to see how people on the other side of the globe live, how they share the same joys and sorrows, what they do in their free time, etc.

I actually have a question about your blog. Would you mind helping us with a linguistic research project? We're compiling data from various Singaporean weblogs. All it requires is checking a few boxes. If you want to take part and/or have more questions, drop me a note ( hack2301@uni-trier.de RE: Question ) so that I can then send you the 'official' project eMail. We'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks very much in advance!
Best regards,
- Fran

PS: Sparknotes are love :) !!